Saturday, September 21, 2013

Behind the Facade

We all judge books by their covers whether we want to admit it or not.

I am a bookworm, a bibliophile, and a lover of libraries.  I could spent hours (okay who am I kidding, days) walking up and down the aisles and running my hands across the spines of countless rows of books.  Sometimes I am there with a purpose, but most of the time I just look around and see what I find.  What is it about a book cover that draws you to a book or turns you away?  I am sure there are many good books that I've bypassed just because the front cover didn't peak my interest.

Column of Books
© Corrie M Avila
Instagram

I think we do this with people as well.  We look at someone and already come to predetermined ideas of who they are or what they are like.  Sometimes when we have forced continued contact with them, we find out they are not like that first impression at all.  Or...... their personality may just be confirmation of our original perception.

My job is to read, analyze, and interpret people and what is going on inside of them.  I do this in the counseling office, I do this when I am on a photography shoot, and I also do this at home with my family (although, I don't think they are too crazy about it :).  But I am never 100% right.  There are also usually layers to go through on the journey to the heart of the matter.

Today I began a restoration of a hand me down desk my mom gave to my son.  It is in relatively good shape, but needs to be stripped down, some minor repair work, and then painted.  As I was using the sander and going through the layers of paint, it had me thinking about this.  If I had looked at this desk for what it was, I wouldn't of given it a second look.  However, I looked at the desk and saw potential.  I saw what it could be.  And sanding down through the layers brought it all into perspective for me.

Layers 
© Corrie M Avila
Instagram

Just as we shouldn't judge a book by its cover, we also shouldn't judge people by their exterior.  We never know what is going on inside them to give off that initial impression.

Be patient, be loving, and be willing... and go ahead and give that book a try...

Capturing the Moment,

Corrie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment