Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Take a step back

Last month I wrote a post titled, "Are you a Man or a Muppet?"  In it, I spoke about my internal struggle between two fields, photography and social work.  After writing this, I had a counseling position literally FALL IN MY LAP.  If I was looking for an open door, this was that door.

I've been doing all the "fun" training and computer stuff over the past few weeks, but tomorrow will be my first day seeing clients.  It is a bittersweet day as it is also the 12th anniversary of 9/11.  Reflecting back to September 11, 2001, brings me to my first week of Social Work classes at FSU.  I can remember sitting in my morning class and listening to the chatter about an explosion at the World Trade Center.  We didn't have a television in class and it was too early for anyone to really know what was going on.  Fast forward to later in the day as I stared at my television and watched LIVE with HORROR as the second plane flew into the second WTC Tower.

When I decided to pursue social work, it was to help people.  I know it sounds "cliche-ish" but it's true. I wanted nothing more to hop on a place and go to NYC and do whatever I could to provide support, trauma relief, and counseling.  The only problem was I was not educated, not trained, and not licensed. That was a call I could not answer.

I grieve deeply for the tragedy that befell our nation twelve years ago.  We are still picking up the pieces.  There are some who will never fully be put back together and my heart breaks for them... Tomorrow starts my post graduate road to finally working on my license.  I can only hope and pray that I can answer the next call.

I had the honor of visiting the 9-11 Memorial in NYC last December and it is something every American should experience.

One of the Two Reflecting Pools
ISO 400 ~ 11mm ~ f/6.3 ~ 1/80 sec
© Corrie M Avila

Capturing the Moment,

Corrie <3

(and don't worry ~ the photographer in me isn't going anywhere ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment