Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Freestyling...

What comes to mind when you hear "freestyle?"  This is a term that can be used to describe swimming, singing, cruising, wrestling, or even picking.  Picking you may ask?? YES!  Have any of you seen "American Pickers" on the history channel?  If not, it is an absolutely addicting show.  The two co-hosts go and "pick" items from all over the country to sell in their antique store.  Sometimes they have a destination in place and other times they "freestyle."  This is when they have a general direction in mind, but just drive around until they see something that peaks their interest.  Sometimes their freestyling produces fantastic results and other times, they leave with nothing.

This COMPLETELY applies to photography as well.  I think as an photographer, there are times we have to stay within certain parameters.  Maybe you are shooting a wedding or an event... these are times when it is probably a good idea to show up.  But there are other times when you may have an idea of a type of photograph you want, but aren't specifically sure where you want to shoot... insert here --> a PERFECT opportunity for freestyling.

I also think as an artist, it is important to allow for creative inspiration.  It is easy to get caught up in needing to photograph certain places because they are historic or iconic ~ but don't put your creativity in a box.  Allow yourself opportunities to just explore with your camera without preconceived ideas or expectations.

Here is a photo I took in my neighborhood, on my way to the mailbox ~ you never know where you will find beauty <3

ISO 100 ~ 60mm ~ f/2.8 ~ 1/1000 sec
© Corrie M Avila

Tomorrow I am going freestyling <3 No, not the rapping kind, or the swimming kind, but the type of freestyle that puts my camera and I, in a new place, to just explore.  I have a few ideas of places I want to try, but I am going to see how the day goes and where my feet take me.  My only goal is to capture the beauty of Autumn and all the Fall colors that are just about in peak color... but where will I go and what will I shoot??  Only time will tell!

Happy Shooting!

Corrie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment