Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Sticky Situation

I am always on the lookout for photo frames either on sale or at thrift stores.  I can often find cute and whimsical frames decently priced at Ross or Kohls.  I purchased a frame earlier in the week for my husband's new office and was annoyed to find the sticker placed right on the glass.

ISO 100 ~ 60mm ~ f/5.6 ~ 1/80 sec
© Corrie M Avila

I knew I would be able to remove it, but it still didn't change my annoyance about the placement of the sticker.  They could have easily placed it on the back of the frame.  I have a little trick I use to remove sticky things and thought I'd share it with you.  Let me introduce you to an embosser.  I had originally purchased it for stamping (which I don't do very much of anymore).  But I've held onto it for it's dual purpose as a fantastic sticker remover.  I've used it to remove the little registration stickers on my license plate, vinyl stickers from glass, as well as a multitude of stickers from objects like the one pictured above.  If you don't have an embosser, you can also use a hair dryer (which blows air so it is a little more difficult to work with).  

ISO 200 ~ 60mm ~ f/5.6 ~ 1/60 sec
© Corrie M Avila

To remove the sticker, direct the embosser onto it and carefully start peeling away the sticker from the glass.  It does get hot so sometimes I will use tweezers to gently pull the sticker away.  If there is any residue leftover, you can use goo-gone or also I've heard peanut butter does the trick.

ISO 200 ~ 60mm ~ f/5.6 ~ 1/160 sec
© Corrie M Avila

So here you have it!  A beautifully clean removal of an obtrusively placed pricing sticker.  

Capturing the Moment,

Corrie <3


No comments:

Post a Comment