Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sunday Morning

I woke up this morning with my 5 year old millimeters from my face.  He proceeded to tell me he woke up because his brain told him it was time.  (Yes mom, I know this is payback from all the times I woke you up)

I had to PRY my eyes open... As I am grumbling to myself about how my children must have not gotten the "sleeping in" gene, I stumbled to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee.  I looked out my back window and saw a white and black bird practically in my backyard.  I grabbed my camera (knowing it probably wouldn't be there anymore) and went outside.  He had meandered down a ways, but was still there.  I wasn't sure what type of bird this was ~ first time I was seeing it.  He was skittish so I was glad I had thought to change my lens to the big daddy (my 300mm lens).  I sat down in the grass and just enjoyed watching him scooping through the water looking for breakfast.

Wood Stork Profile
ISO 400 ~ 300mm ~ f/5.6 ~ 1/640 sec
© Corrie M Avila

Wood Stork Flying
ISO 400 ~ 300mm ~ f/5.6 ~ 1/640 sec
© Corrie M Avila

After coming back inside I looked him up and discovered he is a Wood Stork.  Apparently these guys are quite skittish and are more often in secluded areas.  They are on the an endangered species list and more commonly in South America.  So with all this information, I was quite surprised that he was in the lake behind my house.  I do hope I get to see him some more and will take extra effort to keep my distance should I see him again.
Wood Stork and his Reflection
ISO 400 ~ 260mm ~ f/5.6 ~ 1/250 sec
© Corrie M Avila

Wishing you a pleasant and relaxing weekend.

Capturing the Moment,

Corrie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment