Monday, December 31, 2012

Top 10 Photography Websites of 2012

As we are getting ready to ring in the new year, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to sum up my Top Ten Photography Websites of 2012.

National Geographic Photo of the Day

This one does not need much explanation.  The National Geographic is well, the Super Bowl of photographers.  I can only hope that one day my work would have the honor of gracing the pages of the National Geographic.  I check out the Photo of the Day often, but subscribe to the hard copy of the National Geographic Traveler.  I really enjoy it as it pairs photography and travel ~ my two loves.

Paint the Moon

Annie is the photographer behind Paint the Moon.  Simply put, she is amazing.  She creates these magical photoshop actions and textures that are worth every penny.  They take what would be hours of photoshop editing and tie it up in a neat little bow that cuts your time into almost nothing.

The CoffeeShop Blog

While Paint the Moon has actions and textures available for purchase, Rita at the CoffeeShop Blog provides all her actions and textures for free... yes.. FREE.  She does have a donation button though, and I highly recommend donating to her blog should you use her actions.

Beryl Ayn Young

A website catered to Moms who just want to be able to take good photos of their kids.  She has a mailing list that sends a dose of love from your camera straight to your inbox.  They are cute suggestions that help to see your camera in a different light.  She also hosts classes called Momtographie, based out of Sterling, VA.

"Momtographie is a beginner dslr photography class customized for families in the Washington Metropolitan area with dslr cameras who want to take better photos of the special kiddos in their lives. Designed for the busy mom, dad, grandparent, aunt, or uncle on the go, this 4 hour jumpstart course will deliver the basics to get that camera out of AUTO mode and working for you in any situation."

B&H Photo

I get 90% of my photography equipment from B&H.  Their sales representatives are very informative and helpful and they almost always have exactly what I need in stock.  The prices are usually right on par with Amazon as well.

Meridian Professional Imaging

I've tried out different professional printing labs, and this is the one I use all the time now.  Their prices are great and they include color retouching at no extra charge.  Everything I have ordered from them has come perfectly packaged and the shipping time has a relatively quick turnaround.  And the most important part, the quality of the prints ~ superb.

FotoDC

I first became aware of FotoDC through the Cherry Blossom Photo Contest last year.  They have contests, meetings, seminars, lectures and FotoWeekDC in November of every year.  Even if you are not in/from the DC area, there is plenty online to peruse and look at for it to be worth your time.

Photo Naturalist by Steve Berardi

Steve has some of the best Nature and Travel photography that I have seen.  He also puts out a very helpful and informative newsletter that you can have sent via email.

Tony Northrup's DSLR How to Create Stunning Digital Photography

I was fortunate enough to get this book on Amazon when it was free, however I would pay double or triple what it goes for had I not.  It is a very basic, easy to understand book.  If you are new to your DSLR or want to take your camera out of Automatic and into some of the Manual modes, GET THIS BOOK!

Traveling Hearts Photography ETSY Store

Yes, I am shamelessly plugging my ETSY store.  I just lowered all the prices and put a bunch of new photographs up ~ so check it out!  All of my photos can be special ordered as well in different sizes.  I just ordered a 20x30 print of this for myself.  My first print of my own work ~ I figured it was time!

Wishing you a blessed and prosperous New Year and I look greatly look forward to spending 2013 with you all.

Capturing the Moment,

Corrie <3

3 comments:

  1. I feel so honored to be a part of your list. Thank you! xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had known about you when I was first trying to figure out my camera <3 I love what you are doing! Thank you for all the time and energy you put into your blog, courses, and daily doses of love. They put a smile in my heart and inspiration in my day :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete