Monday, September 10, 2012

Remembering 9-11

Tomorrow is the 11th anniversary of one of the most devastating days in our nation's history.  Having grown up in New York on Staten Island, the World Trade Center "Twin Towers" were a part of me.  Every time I took the Staten Island Ferry, we would look out of the side until we passed the Statue of Liberty, and then we would look out the front of the ferry as we came closer and closer to the WTC towers.

Lady Liberty
© Corrie M Avila 2011

Staten Island Ferry
© Corrie M Avila 2012


I also remember vividly looking in those coin operated telescopes from Staten and seeing the Twin Towers.  I ran across this photograph that was taken by Dan Heller and it captures my childhood memory.  I am sure that my mom has some old photos of my brother and I doing something similar (I'll have to remember to ask her), but even without the photos... this is the nostalgia that I feel and remember.

I have been back to NYC countless times since 9-11, but seeing the skyline without the Twin Towers, still makes my heart stop.  Last year I had the honor of running in the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers 5k.  It was the tenth anniversary of the tragedy.  The story of the foundation is a good one and worth the read.

My Husband and I right before the race began
© Corrie M Avila 2011

 Many firefighters and other emergency personnel came and ran/walked in full gear to follow in the footsteps of Stephen Siller and the bravery on of all on 9-11
© Corrie M Avila 2011

 Freedom Tower
© Corrie M Avila 2011

 Sand sculpture depicting untold emotion
© Corrie M Avila 2011

The race started in Brooklyn, went through the Battery Tunnel, and finished in the shadow of where the WTC Towers once stood.  To say it was emotional would not even touch the surface of what was felt that day.  

Current Skyline with World Trade Center Towers under construction
© Corrie M Avila 2012

Moving forward, we have the expectation of something greater...  Hope.

Thank you to all of those men and women who risked their lives that day, many of them paying the ultimate price.  And thank you to all those men and women who continue to risk their lives for our safety, may God bless you and your families <3

Corrie


No comments:

Post a Comment